Dimming - Which dimmer should I choose?
If you want to dim lamps or luminaires, Niko has a range of dimmers. An overview:
- If you'd like to control every type of dimmable lamps or luminaires, the Niko universal dimmers are the right choice. Universal dimmers are phase control dimmers which allow you to choose from eight lamp profiles. In the future, when you want to replace incandescent lamps, economy lamps or halogen lamps with dimmable LED lamps, this won't be a problem with a Niko universal dimmer. Niko universal dimmers are available in two mounting versions: flush-mounting or modular mounting (DIN rail). The universal flush-mounting dimmers are available in two variants: 2-wire or 3-wire. The modular variant (e.g. 330-00700) is only available in the 3-wire version which is operated using push buttons. There is also a 3-wire modular variant (e.g. 330-00701) which is operated with a 0/1-10V analogue control.
- If you'd like to operate a lighting circuit from multiple locations, select one of the following dimmers:
- 310-0190x: This 3-wire flush-mounting rotary dimmer can be expanded to five extra rotary controls (e.g. 310-0200x). Through these extensions a person can use the same functions as the master dimmer.
- 310-0280x: This 3-wire LED push button dimmer with a lamp profile for reverse phase control is suitable for a lighting circuit with LED lamps up to a maximum of 100 watts. This flush-mounting dimmer can be expanded up to 30 push buttons (e.g. 170-0000x) whereby you can activate all dimmer functions (brighten the light, dim the light, turn on, turn off).
- 310-0290x: A 2-wire flush-mounting push button dimmer that can be expanded up to 30 push buttons (e.g. 170-0000x) whereby you can activate all dimmer functions (brighten the light, dim the light, turn on, turn off).
- 310-0390x: This 2-wire flush mounting rotary dimmer can be expanded up to 30 push buttons (e.g. 170-0000x). You can only turn the lighting circuit on and off with the push button extensions.
- 330-007000, 330-00701: Modular 3-wire dimmers that can be expanded up to 30 push buttons (e.g. 170-0000x). In the mode one-button control you can activate all dimmer functions (turn on, turn off, brighten the light, dim the light, memory function). In the mode staircase function the lighting circuit slowly switches to a lower light intensity where after it turns off, when a push button is used. The modular dimmer 330-00701 can also be connected to a 0/1-10V rotary control.
- If, during a renovation project, you'd like to replace an existing single-pole switch in a room with a dimmer, you can choose the 2-wire rotary dimmer for LED lamps (e.g. 310-0490x). This dimmer is mainly intended for LED lamps, but it can also dim incandescent lamps as well as 230V AC halogen lamps and low-voltage halogen lamps with an electronic transformer. No extra controls can be connected. If you'd like a rotary dimmer with extensions, select the flush-mounting rotary dimmer (e.g. 310-0390x) with a 2-wire installation. You can also select the flush-mounting 3-wire rotary dimmer (e.g. 310-0190x) when the neutral conductor is available.
- Do you want a lighting circuit, comprising of incandescent and/or halogen lamps, with a higher lamp wattage (>350W), then choose from the range of universal modular dimmers (e.g. 05-715 or 65-410). These modules are mounted into the electrical cabinet and the modular dimmers are operated via one or more push buttons (e.g. 170-000x).
- When you're planning to buy a DALI luminaire, you'll need at least one DALI control to switch on or switch off the light or to control the light intensity. You can choose the DALI push button interface (e.g. 350-70020), which is linked to a push button (e.g. 170-401x0, 170-4005x), or the Niko DALI rotary dimmer (e.g. 310-0210x) which is connected directly to DALI bus cabling. If the DALI bus is not yet powered, you will need a separate power supply of maximum 250 mA (e.g. 350-70985 or 67-710). If you want to dim a lighting circuit with a DALI control via a traditional phase control dimmer, then you will need modular dimmer 65-411. In order to configure these products, you will not need DALI software.
Niko can also help you if you want to operate the DALI lighting circuit via a DALI motion sensor. In order to configure these detector products, you will need DALI software. Read the product section of detectors on www.niko.eu
- When you have a room with lighting circuits that use electronic control gear (ECG), then you must install the Niko flush-mounting rotary dimmer with 1-10V current control (e.g. 310-0110x) or the modular variant (e.g. 05-711).
- If you want to remotely control LED strips in your living room or kitchen, opt for the Niko 4-channel constant power controller (e.g. 410-00121). This ballast-shape module can be installed inside a false ceiling or behind a double wall, taken into account the minimal free space as set out in the manual. You can control the following variants of LED strips: monochrome white, tuneable white, red-green-blue (RGB), or red-green-blue-white (RGBW). The controller is used together with a wireless 4-way push button (e.g. 410-0002). This is used to switch the LED strips on and off, choose the colour, control the light intensity of the LED strips, or set your favorite scene.
- When you use Hue LED lamps with the Philips Hue Bridge v2 then you can operate them wirelessly with the Niko battery-free dimmer switch for the Hue system (e.g. xxx-91004). When you want to control Casambi® or Xicato® enabled luminaires, including Sylsmart®, AQSmart®… then you can do that wirelessly with the Niko Bluetooth® battery-free dimmer switch (360-21001). In case you install EnOcean® based systems then you can operate them wirelessly with the Niko battery-free EnOcean® dimmer switch (360-11001). When you KNX® system then the Niko battery-free KNX®dimmer switch (360-31001) together with the KNX® wireless receiver / media coupler (360-33001) can be used. Every battery-free dimmer switch is compatible with every Niko design and it can be installed without breaking up walls, installing cables and no batteries are needed.
- If you have Niko Home Control, then there is also a connected flush-mounting dimmer (e.g. 551-72201) and modular dimmer (e.g. 550-00340) to control your lighting circuit.
All Niko flush-mounting dimmers and controls can be finished with buttons and a cover plate in accordance with the available Niko colours and finishes. Some flush-mounting dimmers are available in, or compatible with, a regional specific finishing set.
Consult the Quick Selection Guide Dimmers for a detailed overview of Niko dimmers.